On September 26, 1992, China’s State Council decided to abolish the Shanghai County and the former Minhang District and replace them with a new Minhang District. The new district covers the administrative areas of the former county and the former district.
Historically, Minhang District was under the jurisdiction of Shanghai County. The history of Shanghai County can be traced back to more than 4,000 years ago after archaeologists unearthed cultural relics that belonged to the Maqiao Culture. Shanghai County became an administrative division in 1292 during the Yuan Dynasty. It was first called Minhang during the reign of Emperor Hongzhi of the Ming Dynasty and was formally named Minhang in 1512. Shanghai County was placed under the jurisdiction of Jiangsu Province in 1918 and became part of the Shanghai Special City when Shanghai was under the Japanese rule during China’s War of Resistance against Japanese Aggression. It was called Shanghai County again after the 1945 victory of the War against Japanese Aggression.
On May 15, 1949, Shanghai County was liberated and was placed under the jurisdiction of Sunan District first and later Jiangsu Province.
In January 1958, Shanghai County was put under the jurisdiction of Shanghai Municipality.
In December 1959, the former Minhang District was established to replace Minhang Town and Wujing Area of Shanghai County. In June 1964, the former Minhang District was abolished and incorporated into Xuhui District, becoming two sub-districts: Minhang and Wujing. In February 1981, the former Minhang District was restored.
On September 26, 1992, the former Minhang District merged with Shanghai County to become the new Minhang District.
The site of Maqiao Culture is located at Yutang Village in Maqiao Town of Minhang. It lies on a belt-shaped shell mound called Zhugang. The belt is long, stretching from north to south, but narrow from east to west. Maqiao Culture is a typical cultural heritage of the region around the Taihu Lake, occupying a very important position in China’s archaeological studies.
The land at the site of Maqiao Culture was formed about 5,500 years ago, and began to see human activity during the transitional period from Songze Culture to Liangzhu Culture. During the Xia and Shang dynasties, the place became the largest village in the region around the Taihu Lake, with the most typical social life at the time. The village covered more than 150,000 square meters. During the period of Warring States to the Tang, Song and Yuan dynasties, the place became a settlement. In 1982, the archaeological community named the site of Maqiao as “Maqiao Culture.”
The site of Maqiao Culture was discovered in 1959. More than 1,000 cultural relics were unearthed from the site after several excavations in the 1960s and 1990s. The site serves as a scientific evidence of Shanghai’s history and its land forming time.