1. Upon recommendation by administrative committees of “demonstration and pilot” zones, eligible high-level foreign talents may directly apply for permanent residence in China (together with their foreign spouses and dependent children), for which approval period will be shortened. may apply for permanent residence in China (together with their foreign spouses and dependent children).
2. Foreign talents with a degree above master level (included),or foreign talents hired or invited by enterprises in “demonstration and pilot” zones, enterprises in “entrepreneurship & innovation” pilot bases, colleges & universities or scientific research institutions in Shanghai. who come to China without a visa, are allowed to apply to the Shanghai Port Visa Office for Talent Visa with relevant certificates and go through residence permit procedures after entry according to provisions. who come to China with other visas, are allowed to apply for changing such visa to Talent Visa after entry or go through residence permit procedures according to provisions. their foreign spouses and dependent children are also allowed to apply for permanent residence.
3. For foreign talents certified by market mechanisms and switching from employment residence status to permanent residence status.
4. For foreign talents allowed to obtain permanent residence permit in China or hold work-based residence permit, or high-level talents from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan, foreign household service personnel hired by such talents are allowed to apply to the Shanghai Port Visa Office for visa for private affairs (S2) for entry.
5. Expatriate Chinese with a degree at or above doctoral candidate level, or those who have worked consecutively in enterprises in “demonstration and pilot” zones or “entrepreneurship & innovation” pilot bases for 4 full years and accumulatively lived in China for no less than 6 months every year.
6. For expatriate Chinese with relevant certificates or guarantees for relative-visiting, business negotiation, scientific, educational, cultural and health-related exchange activities and private affairs, who need permanent residence permit for working, studying, visiting relatives and dealing with private affairs in Shanghai, they may apply for valid visa for multiple exits and entries in 5 years; they may apply for residence permit with a period of validity within 5 years.
7. Incorporated businesses where a foreigner serves as a natural person or controlling shareholder as a natural person on his own behalf, engaged in direct investment in Shanghai Municipality with stable investment for 3 consecutive years and total investment amounting to over USD1 million (or USD0.5 million for total investment in encouraged industries in accordance with the Catalogue for the Guidance of Industries for Foreign Investment issued by China), with a favorable tax payment record, may apply to engage in part-time entrepreneurship activities in enterprises in “demonstration and pilot” zones or “entrepreneurship & innovation” pilot bases after adding registration of “entrepreneurship” on study-based residence permit.
8. Foreign students studying in colleges or universities in Shanghai with approval and recommendation letter by relevant school, Foreign students studying in overseas colleges or universities who are invited by Shanghai enterprises or public institutions for internship, may apply to Shanghai Port Visa Office for short-term visa for private affairs (for “internship”) to engage in internship activities in China. who come to China with other visas, may apply for changing such visa to short-term visa for private affairs (for “internship”) to engage in internship activities in China.
9. Foreign students enrolled by primary and secondary schools in Shanghai, who come to study in Shanghai for emergency causes, may apply to the Shanghai Port Visa Office for study-based visa (X1) with certification documents such as letter of admission, and go through study-based residence permit after entry according to relevant provisions. who come to China with other visas, may apply for issuance of study-based residence permit with certification documents such as letter of admission. may be issued by competent authorities of relevant countries and certified by relevant Chinese embassies (consulates), or certificates issued by relevant Chinese embassies (consulates) may be submitted.
10. Foreign certificates to be submitted by foreigners when applying for permanent residence:
· certificate of no criminal record,
· marriage certificate,
· birth certificate,
· family relation certificate,
· adoption certificate, etc.